The advantages of a sustainable supply chain
Implementing a sustainable supply chain is associated with great effort for many companies and also brings some hurdles with it. However, the advantages that arise are obvious:
- With the help of an embedded sustainability model, companies can exploit the full potential of their supply chains and thus have a positive impact on their environmental balance.
- Companies can increase their profitability and operational performance by introducing sustainable solutions.
- Logistics costs can be reduced as transport costs are reduced and products and materials are reused. The focus is on the transition from the long-established, linear production model (use, manufacture, dispose) to a cycle model (reduce, reuse, recycle and return). This drives process and product innovations and generates additional revenue streams.
- Companies meet the increasing requirements and environmental regulations.
- Companies build solid relationships with suppliers and thus ensure resilient and transparent supply chains.
- Commitment to environmentally friendly and socially responsible business practices strengthens the company’s public image and minimizes potential reputational risks.
“The trend towards sustainability is omnipresent. We see that decisions in favor of sustainability lead to innovation and growth for many of our customers and business partners. Another benefit is greater employee engagement, as a leadership role on sustainability issues creates a sense of pride and inspires employees.”, says Angelos Orfanos, Executive Vice President Global Marketing & Sales at DHL Global Forwarding.
Kathrin Brost, Global Head of GoGreen at DHL Global Forwarding adds: “We have found that cost and emission reductions are not contradicting each other, but rather complement each other. We at DHL Global Forwarding, as well as in the entire Deutsche Post DHL Group, are convinced that our commitment to sustainability as part of our GoGreen program will help to maintain our market-leading position in the long term.”
Cf. Hermes Supply Chain Blog, Hermes Barometer, accessed 20.10.2020
Cf. Hermes Supply Chain Blog, Supply Chain Management Trends, accessed 20.10.2020
Cf. Logistik heute, Nachhaltigkeit: Welche Trends erwarten die Logistik 2020?, accessed 20.10.2020
Cf. Infor, 7 Supply Chain Predictions: Looking Ahead with 2020 Vision, accessed 20.10.2020
Cf. PWC, Sustainable Supply Chain, accessed 20.10.2020
Cf. LOGISTIK express, Nachhaltiges Supply Chain Management steigert Geschäftserfolg, accessed 20.10.2020
Cf. NAVIS, IMO 2020 – Klimaschutz durch Reduzierung der Schwefeldioxide in der Seeschifffahrt ab 1.1.2020, accessed 20.10.2020